Deadline for Filing 2021 Assessment Complaints is November 29. 2021.
The public is always welcome to visit the Stark County Supervisor of Assessments Office on weekdays from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., or to call us at (309)286-7172, in order to take advantage of the many services our office has to offer.
Our office is responsible for determining the market value of properties in the county for the purpose of taxation. There are approximately 6,000 parcels in Stark County. We can answer questions regarding assessments, sales of property, property ownership, building permits, zoning, GIS, or Aerial mapping.
The office maintains a listing of all property owners and their addresses and makes changes to the listing whenever a deed is recorded in the County Recorder’s office. The Real Estate Transfer Declarations that are recorded in the Recorder’s office are the primary source of sales data, which is used in determining the market value of properties in Stark County.
Property Tax Exemptions are also maintained within the Assessment office. Applications for all exemptions are available in our office. We provide assistance in filling out these forms if needed.
Property tax exemptions available:
- General Homestead Exemption (Commonly called “Owner Occupied”)
- Senior Homestead Exemption (Age 65 and over)
- Senior Freeze Homestead Exemption (Age 65 and over, income under $65,000)
- Home Improvement Exemption (Exempts increase in value due to improvements of a residence for 4 years. (Examples: garage, deck, addition, etc.))
- Disabled Persons Exemption (Requires certification of disability)
- Returning Veteran’s Exemption ( One time exemption for returning veterans)
- Disabled Veterans Exemption (Requires certification of disability)
- Instructs the township assessors
- Prepares and maintains tax maps as well as up-to-date lists of property owners’ names, addresses, and property record cards for all real estate in the county.
- Serves as Clerk of the Board of Review
- Can revise assessment made by the township assessor
- Grant Exemptions.
130 West Main
Toulon, IL 61483
8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Special Use Permit of Map Amendment (rezoning)…………………..$250.00
- Text Amendment……………….$250.00
Building permits must be obtained from the Zoning Administrator.
BUILDING PERMIT FEES SHALL APPLY AS FOLLOWS:
- Single family/or multiple family dwelling (Living Area)…….$0.10/sq.ft, Minimum of $150.00
- Single Family/or multiple family addition alteration (Living Area) $0.10/sq.ft., Minimum of $75.00
- Commercial/Industrial (Including addition/alteration/accessory structure) $0.10/sq.ft, Minimum of $250.00
- Accessory Building (Garage attached or detached,shed,ploe barn,porch,deck) $0.05/sq.ft, Minimum of $50.00
- Communication Towers $25.00/ft. (Measured from top of tower to top of foundation)
- Tower Addition/alteration $1,200.00 (Permit fee to add equipment to an existing tower)
If construction starts before a building permit is issued, the fee will be increased by fifty percent(50%), and in accordance with Article XIV, Section 141.04
In addition to the above fees, the applicant shall reimburse the County for all costs of publication, prior to the date of hearing before the Zoning Board of Appeals.
The Stark County Zoning and Planning Department is responsible for regulating construction activities in the county. This means if a property owner wants to build any type of structure within the county, this department should be contacted before the project begins to be certain all regulations are met.
The County Board of Supervisors adopted zoning regulation in 1969 for the purpose of promoting the public health, safety, morals, comfort, and general welfare, conserving the values of property throughout the county. Zoning regulates the uses allowed on land and the location of improvements on the land.
Construction Permits are required before any construction starts. If a structure is started prior to getting a building permit there could be a fine.
The Zoning Board of Appeals is a five-member citizen board organized under the zoning ordinance to hear several types of zoning issues. These include:
- Request for changes in zoning classification;
- Permission for certain uses under zoning named as “special uses” in the zoning ordinance
- Request for relief from specific requirements of the zoning ordinance through variance requests;
- Appeal of a determination made by the Zoning Administrator.